In this article:
What are custom rewards?
You can create custom rewards to perform actions or provide rewards that don’t fit into the standard LoyaltyLion reward types. These rewards can be fulfilled in one of two ways: manually or via a webhook.
This feature allows you to create a bespoke reward with any title - for example, you may want to reward your customer with an item that you do not sell in your store.
For example - An uplifting poem for you:
You will be able to see once this reward has been claimed by a customer in your LL merchant account, under the 'fulfillment' section of the reward (example below - showing 4 fulfillments)
When you see someone has claimed the reward you can then take the steps necessary for the customer to receive the reward. Once this has been completed you can return to the fulfillment section and tick the small box then click on the 'complete' button:
The tick box will then disappear and you will now see a completed date at the end of the line:
This page explains how to use webhooks to fulfill custom rewards
What is a webhook?
Webhooks are the more advanced (developer) option for getting an update, for example: for our Custom Reward
In layman's terms, you'd update your site and add a particular URL that responds to requests by doing -- whatever you wanted, really. It could create a new order, or write you a note about a customer, or send an email to your support team, or anything you can write some software to do. So the custom reward could be fulfilled automatically that way!
Then, you pass that URL to us as the "webhook" URL and whenever a customer claims that reward we send a request to that URL, so your software can do its thing.
Each custom reward using webhook fulfillment must use a unique webhook URL.
How to use webhooks to populate a customer list on your Trello board using Zapier?
Please note that this tutorial is just an example explaining some of the functionality that is possible using our webhooks. It is your responsibility to connect webhooks on your side and debug them further. If you do not feel comfortable setting this up by yourself, please make sure to include your developers in the process.
1. Go to Manage > Create new reward and select Custom
2. Fill in the required fields, including the identifier that will help you differentiate between different custom rewards.
3. In the Fulfillment section select the option Webhook
4. Log in to your automation app. In this tutorial, I'll be using Zapier.
5. Click on Make a zap on the left
6. Select a trigger to start the workflow. In our case, we'll go with Webhook
7. Select a trigger event. We're trying to get the information from LoyaltyLion, when a customer claims a custom reward, so we'll go with Catch Hook
8. On the next screen copy the Custom Webhook URL and paste it in LoyaltyLion in the Webhook URL section.
9. Check if you receive a 2xx response by clicking on the Test button in LoyaltyLion. Create a reward.
10. Test the trigger in Zapier and move forward if everything works correctly.
11. In Zapier, create an action, so our flow knows what to do after receiving the webhook. I want my customers to appear on the Trello board I created, so I'll go with Trello.
13. Follow the steps of the Trello set-up. You'll be asked to authenticate your accounts (if you haven't connected Trello and Zapier before) or select your Trello account from the drop-down menu. Then follow the set-up steps: select which board you want to use, to what list should card be added, and what will be the name of the card. I like to use customer email and reward identifier fields in the Name, so I see straight away who claimed what reward without the need to click on the card.
14. Test the action! Check your Trello to see if the card was created.
15. Click Turn on Zap and wait for your customers to claim the custom reward in their panel!
Don’t have a developer? Hire one here!
Q. How will I know that my manual reward has been triggered?
Each time a custom reward is claimed, we will note it in the Manage > Rewards > View Rewards > View fulfillment. There you'll see all customers that triggered the reward. In addition to that, we'll send you an email from email@example.com letting you know which customer claimed the reward and what reward was it. Please see an example below: