In this article:
Refunding a product
If a customer in your store returns the purchase/receives a refund, the points they earned will automatically be removed.
If a customer returns the order partially (and they didn't use the voucher with said order), points will be removed partially as well.
How refunds work behind the scenes:
The store automatically sends our system a message via callback (also known as webhooks) for the returned order, we then remove any points that were accumulated for that particular purchase.
This all happens automatically in the background.
If for any reason you believe the points have not been adjusted, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to check for you.
What happens if a customer has used a reward with the refunded order? When an order is fully refunded, we automatically give the customer back points for any rewards they used with the order. (This does not apply to Shopify Gift Cards).
Refunding an order in full voids used LL voucher and returns points to customer's account.
Note: the vouchers can't be used more than one time. Once used, each voucher is assigned to only one order and it is not possible to use the same voucher again. This helps us keep track of all the vouchers and minimises the number of potential bugs.
- A customer has a hypothetical starting balance. Balance: 1000 points
- Customer claims a $5 off reward for 500 points. Balance: 500 points
- Customer purchases two $10 items and uses their $5 off reward. They gain $20 (total) - $5 (reward) * 1 point / dollar = 15 points for making the purchase. Balance: 515 points
- Customer refunds one of the two items. LoyaltyLion deducts ($10 * 1 point / dollar) = 10 points for refunding that item. Their voucher is not yet refunded. Balance: 505 points
- Customer refunds the remaining items in their order. They lose $5 (remaining net spend) * 1 point / dollar = 5 points for refunding the purchase They gain 500 points because their $5 voucher is refunded. Balance: 1000 points
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you do not refund shipping to your customers, this will not be considered a full refund, but a partial one. Because of this, points for voucher will not be refunded to your customer automatically.
In this situation you can either:
- refund shipping
- Give customer points for a voucher manually [click here to learn how]
Q. What happens if the customer has already spent their points when their order is refunded?
We suggest setting an "approval period" on points earned by purchases, equal to the return period your store policy allows. Until the approval period is up, your customer will see their points in their account but will not be able to spend them on rewards.
The approval period starts at the moment the order is marked as paid.
Q. What happens when a customer partially refunds an order paid in full using Point slider?
Please keep in mind that if your customer makes a partial refund of an order that was paid in full with points, they will not receive a partial points refund. The voucher created by point slider is treated as a whole, and it does not allow partial refunds. However, you can manually give points to your customer as a partial refund. Click here to learn how to do it.
Q. [Shopify only] What happens if a customer used a Shopify gift card reward with the refunded order?
LL will fully refund an order in Shopify and we will also refund any gift cards used. As the customer has access to those funds, we don't give back any points.