To see which plans include MailChimp integration please see our pricing page. If MailChimp isn't listed on your integrations page within LoyaltyLion and you would like it, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In this article:
- Why MailChimp and LoyaltyLion?
- Benefits of integrating with MailChimp
- How to integrate LoyaltyLion with MailChimp?
- What fields are synchronised to MailChimp?
- Changes to LoyaltyLion + MailChimp integration
Why Loyalty Lion and MailChimp?
MailChimp is an always-on marketing platform for small businesses, making innovative, beautiful products that empower those businesses to find more customers.
Using MailChimp and LoyaltyLion together, merchants can seamlessly incorporate loyalty information into e-commerce emails to encourage next purchase and retention.
Benefits of integrating with MailChimp:
- Segment your customers
- Customise newsletters
- Increase repeat purchases with reward available emails
- Engage with customers via monthly loyalty summary emails
- Increase customer acquisition with referral prompt emails
How to integrate LoyaltyLion with MailChimp?
1. Login to your LoyaltyLion account
2. Click on the tab Manage
3. On the left find Integrations and click Manage
4. Find MailChimp on the list and click Install Integration button
5. Login to your MailChimp account and connect LoyaltyLion
6. Remember to choose a list of customers who are on your target MailChimp list and click Install integration to save the changes
(Click an Image and make it bigger)
7. If you wish to select the properties to push to your MailChimp contacts, go to:
Manage > Integrations and click Configure Integration
What fields are synchronised to MailChimp?
We currently sync the following merge fields to each member:
- Points (total, approved, pending, spent, lifetime)
- Number of rewards claimed
- Date enrolled in the program
- Customer's unique referral link
- Loyalty Tier
Note that we create these fields as private fields, i.e. they will not automatically appear in sign-up forms or similar. You should take care not to delete or change the attributes of the fields manually in the MailChimp interface.
Every field is exposed as a merge field and can be used in emails the same way as other fields like "FNAME". The complete list of merge fields we sync:
Points (Total): L_TPOINTS
Points (Approved): L_APOINTS
Points (Pending): L_PPOINTS
Points (Spent): L_SPOINTS
Points (Lifetime): L_LPOINTS
Rewards Claimed: L_RCLAIMED
Date Enrolled in Program: L_JOINDATE
Referral Link: L_REFLINK
Loyalty Tier: L_TIER
Changes to LoyaltyLion + MailChimp integration
MailChimp has asked Shopify to remove the integration from their marketplace - read the full statement here. This will cause two main changes with regards to how the Loyaltylion + Mailchimp integration works:
1. The newsletter sign up rule will work slightly differently
Your customers will still be able to get points for signing up to a newsletter. In order to do so, they need to sign up directly in Shopify by checking the "accept marketing" checkbox during checkout, or by clicking the rule in the LL panel. Receiving points for signing up for the mailing list via a prompt on site will no longer be possible.
2. Shopify + Mailchimp sync will only work with the use of a 3rd-party app
LoyaltyLion can only add extra loyalty information to customers who are already on your email list. Since the sync will now be disabled, you will see fewer customers ending up on your MailChimp list and this diminishes our integration's functionality. In order to replace it see alternative ways to connect your store.
For existing connected users these changes will apply from May 12, 2019.
For recommendations on other platforms, if you are seeking to migrate from Mailchimp please contact email@example.com.
Q. How and when do we push updates to MailChimp?
Whenever a customer changes in LoyaltyLion (e.g. by earning or redeeming points) LoyaltyLion will update a matching customer in your chosen list who has the same email address. If the list does not contain a member with the same email address, we won't do anything.
We will update any member of the list, even if they are not subscribed - this is useful if you use MailChimp to send transactional emails.
Q. What happens to customers who aren't on my list already?
We are not permitted to add a customer to your MailChimp list as we don't know if the customer has opted into receiving an email from you. When a customer who isn't on your list is later added to your list through another source, LoyaltyLion will sync to MailChimp as soon as they take an action (earning or spending points) within the Loyalty Program.
Q. How can I use this data to help my business?
This data will help you increase revenue, engagement and customer acquisition, as well as segmenting customers based on their loyalty properties, prompt customers to refer their friends by emailing them with their referral link and more.
Q. I have connected with my ESP provider, but fields LoyaltyLion was supposed to provide do not appear in my ESP.
In order for LoyaltyLion to synchronise information with your ESP, LoyaltyLion has to be live on the page. After launching your program we'll start sending information, so it might take a moment for all the info to get synchronised. Once the first sync is done, we will be sending this data in real-time.