To see which plans include Free Product (seamless) please see our pricing page.
In this article:
- What is the Seamless Free Product reward?
- How to set up Free Product (Seamless) in the rewards section?
- Why do you need to hide the reward variant in Shopify's theme?
- How to enable claiming product rewards from the cart with in-cart-rewards?
What is the Seamless Free Product reward?
Also known as: Buy with points, Seamless Free Product (SFP) is a Shopify-only reward which allows certain products to be bought using points. It's different from a regular "Free Product" reward, which uses a 100% discount voucher.
The SFP reward provides a much better user-experience in that the product is added directly to the cart for $0 with only one click - no voucher is required.
The Seamless Free Product reward works by creating a free, single-use variant of your product when a customer claims the reward. The variant is immediately added to the customer's cart and they can quickly checkout without needing to use a voucher code.
How to set up Free Product (Seamless) in the rewards section?
1. Login to your LoyaltyLion account
2. Click on the tab Manage
3. On the left find Rewards and click on Create new reward
4. Find Free Product (seamless)
5. Chose Duplicate an existing product or Use an existing product
Use an existing product (recommended) - it's the simplest and most common as it works with the products already on your store. If you chose this option, it will create a new variant of the product every time it's claimed. We check the inventory of the reference product when the customer clicks the claim button, and only allow them to claim if there is inventory available.
Note: Remember to hide the reward variant in Shopify, so your customers can claim the reward only through the loyalty panel. Click below to learn how to do this:
Duplicate an existing product - It creates a separate, new product in your Shopify store, that's a copy of an existing one. Choose this option if you prefer to think of reward products as separate items. You must manage reward product inventory separately.
Note: Remember to hide the product reward from Shopify, so your customers can claim it only through the loyalty panel.
6. Amend additional options:
- Cost to redeem - how many points are needed for this reward
- Once per checkout - if enabled, this reward can only be redeemed once per checkout
- Track Inventory - if enabled, we'll only allow a variant to be redeemed if it has inventory available in Shopify. When a variant is redeemed, we'll decrease its inventory quantity
Note: if Use an existing product was selected, this will be tracked against the original existing products' inventory. If Duplicate an existing product was selected, this will be tracked against the duplicated reward products' inventory
- Write Terms and Conditions - these will be visible through a popup from the loyalty panel
Note: Paid Items Required. By default, seamless free product rewards will require the shopper to have at least one paid item in their cart prior to adding the free products. This option can be disabled and customers would be able to claim free product rewards without any paid items. If you'd like to disable this option please contact email@example.com.
7. Click Create
If you are a Shopify Plus merchant, please read the steps below. We are currently testing a new Seamless Free Product set-up that involves Shopify Scripts, to limit the number of API calls we send when rewards are claimed.
If you're a Shopify Plus merchant, please make sure you get in touch with your Onboarding Manager and let them know:
- If you're currently using Shopify Scripts
- If yes, do you currently have an active line-item script?
- if yes, please provide your CPU/memory usage estimates. You can find this in the Shopify Scripts editor tool
4. Our Onboarding Manager will provide you with the line-item script content for you, including the unique script-key. Depending on if you're using a line-item Script or not, our developers with either:
- Merge our code into the existing script - for merchants already using the line-item script
- Create a new line-item script - for merchants that are not using any line-item scripts
5. Let us know once you set the script and publish it, so we can activate it on our side.
Why do you need to hide the reward variant in Shopify's theme?
If you used Use an existing product when setting up your Seamless reward, when customer claims it, it creates a single-use variant that needs to be hidden on your side. Creating a new variant when claiming a seamless reward was the only effective way to control access to the free products on our side. After testing this, our developers confirmed that any other way would open stores to abuse by customers illegitimately getting free items. With creating a new variant, we have control over who claims a free product and make sure that seamless item redemption is working without fault.
The only way we've discovered so far that can strictly enforce what items are allowed in a customer's cart is inventory quantity - you can't add anything that is out of stock.
As a result, thus far we've had to create a variant each time with an inventory quantity of 1, so only the person who redeems the product can get it.
Theme changes are required in order for the Seamless free product reward
How to enable claiming product rewards from the cart with in-cart-rewards?
In-cart rewards is an additional feature that can be added to SFP rewards which allows customers to see and claim seamless free product rewards through a UI widget added to the cart page.
Note: Please see if your pricing plan includes in-cart rewards.
Here are the integration instructions on how to set up seamless free product with in-cart rewards.
Note: this is an Advanced plan feature that requires adding code to your Shopify theme and may require a developer on your end.
SFP with In-Cart Rewards
Q. Can I set up a minimum spend required for seamless product reward?
By default, at least one product must be in a cart for the seamless product reward to work.
Q. What happens when a reward product is removed from the cart?
If a reward product is removed from the cart we'll return the points to the shopper immediately, so they can use them on something else.
Note: if you use an Ajax cart or other cart enhancements that update the cart without reloading the page, there may be additional steps needed to support returning the points to the shopper immediately, contact support for more details.
Q. What happens when a customer abandons their cart, with a reward in it?
After a two hour timeout, the rewards are automatically refunded and removed from the customer's cart.
Q. Can I use gift card as a seamless product reward?
Unfortunately, it's not possible. The reason behind this is Shopify won't let you create a gift card with a price of 0 (which is how we handle seamless rewards).
Q. Can I add another variants to the reward, after I create it?
This is not possible at the moment. You can select the variants of the reward (e.g. size or colour) only during the initial creation of the reward.
If you added a new variant, once the reward was already live, you'd need to recreate the reward.